Personable: I want someone that does not make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Someone I can tolerate talking to or sitting across from on more than one occasion.
Licensed: Sounds dumb but it is not. I want my agent to be licensed and in good standing. i.e. no complaints. [No legitimate complaints any way] Google is your friend. Go to Google.com, Put there name in quotations [""] like “MyTitleGuy” and see what Google and other consumers have to say about them.
Tech Savvy: an agent that is savvy with technology is a non negotiable for me. I want someone that has a strong website, that understands the Internet and search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing. Not so much Social Media. Remember, 98% of consumers start their home search online, my real estate agent better know how to get my home to stand out online – where the eye balls are.
Knowledgeable: I want an agent that knows their way around the purchase contract and how to negotiate. Just because someone is licensed does not mean they understand either. I also want an agent that specializes in what I am buying or selling. A commercial agent for a commercial property, residential agent for a residential property, a short sale agent for a short sale property etc.
Familiar with the local market: I would want an agent that is familiar with my neighborhood, builder, and local market conditions. Local market conditions, not an area 20 miles away. [Yes, markets can vary considerably in as few as 20 miles]
Communicates well and often: You would hope that service and communication would be the basics to be in the real estate industry but sadly it is not. There are real estate agents out there that are horrible at returning calls or emails or even giving updates. Maybe that is why the #1 complaint in the real estate industry is lack of communication. In an occupation that requires communication the #1 complaint is lack of it. I want my real estate agent to communicate with me in the method that I prefer. [email, text, phone call, facebook, twitter, smoke signal, Morse code etc] whatever that is. I also want a regular schedule of check in’s – even if there is nothing to report. Keep me in the loop!
Truthful: Someone that is going to tell me the truth whether I want to hear it or not. “Yes, Mr Garner, that purple carpet is ugly and needs to go” or “Stephen, the deer head or stuffed bear in the den is not a good idea”.
Full Time: Real estate is not a part time job. My agent needs to be available when a potential buyer is. I don’t want to have to wait until my agent gets off his/her shift at Walgreen’s before they can answer an offer on my home. This is where an agent with a team can be beneficial as they can cover for each other so I can get the service I deserve.
I know I said 8 qualities, but I am throwing in another, call it a bonus (thanks Anyelina)
Integrity: Integrity is one of those words that many people “say” they have. In my opinion, Integrity is demonstrated not necessarily spoken. I want a real estate agent/REALTOR to put my interests above their own. That offer of $400,000 on my $430,000 home may only equal a reduction of $900 for the agents commission but it equals a $30,000 reduction to me. If I’m buying with an agent and I’m interested in 4 bedroom, 2 bath homes, show them all to me, even the ones offering a reduced commission and the ones listed by an agent you don’t necessarily care for. Put my interests above your own. If my agent represents me, I want him/her to represent me.
| Lili Chen |
Contact me: 626-657-8858
Email me: lilichenrealtor@gmail.com
Look forward to hear from you.
No comments:
Post a Comment